Anticosti: A little bit of history

Louis Jolliet, an hydrograph and explorer was one of the first Europeans to inhabit Anticosti Island in 1680. Louis-Olivier Gamache, called the wizard of Anticosti, lived there for several years until its death in 1854. The man who changed the destiny of Anticosti Island the most is Henri Menier. In addition to introducing whitetail deer, between 1896 to 1926, Henri, his brother Gaston, and George Martin-Zédé developed lumbering, sport and commercial fishing, built a legendary villa, a 50 kilometres railroad, the largest pier in Canada and two ultramodern villages in the western end of Anticosti Island.
PH1 PH6
PH2 PH7
PH3 PH8
PH4 PH9
PH5 PH10
 
 
All rights reserved © 2008   René Bourque    Anticostiphoto.com