Anticosti: A little bit of history
Louis Jolliet, an hydrograph and explorer was one of the
first Europeans to inhabit Anticosti Island in 1680. Louis-Olivier Gamache, called the wizard of Anticosti, lived there for several years until its death in 1854. The man who changed the destiny of Anticosti Island the most is Henri Menier. In addition to introducing whitetail deer, between 1896 to 1926, Henri, his brother Gaston, and
George Martin-Zédé developed lumbering, sport and commercial fishing, built a
legendary villa, a 50 kilometres railroad, the largest pier in Canada and two
ultramodern villages in the western end of Anticosti Island.